YAG laser is generated when a YAG (yttrium-aluminum-garnet) crystal is excited. A YAG crystal is regarded as one of the most excellent one because it shows various oscillation forms and also presents excellent optical characteristics.
- - Transmittable through an optical fiber.
- The YAG laser light is transmitted using optical fibers, resulting in easy remote processing and simplified system.
The laser can be set up easily in factory automated system. A single unit offers simultaneous multipoint welding (power-sharing delivery welding) and time-scheduled welding (time-sharing delivery welding) At present, no optical fiber can transmit a high-power CO2 laser light for laser processing.
- - Invisible light.
- Laser light is near infrared light of 1064 nanometer (1.064 micrometer) wavelength; it is invisible.
- - Suitable for micro-processing.
- The YAG laser does not diverge but proceeds straight. As the wavelength (1.06μm) is one tenth of CO2 laser wavelength (10.6μm), the YAG laser can be focused to a fine beam, leading to micro-processing.